Thursday, October 29, 2015

Week 10: Storytelling "Dear Diary"

Dear Diary, (Asvina 8)  

I know that it has been a while since I have last written to you, but so much has happened in the past few days. First things first, I feel that I must tell you about the unexpected guest that came and shook the palace up. Diary, do you remember the dreams that I used to always have when I was younger? I would randomly dream about this womanly figure that would always look over me while I was sleep. I guess you could say kind of like a protector. Little did I know that the figure in my dream would be my oldest sister. Can you believe that I have finally met my long lost sister? I am extremely outraged at Father for never mentioning her to me. If you were wondering, her name is Shikhandi. The biggest news of this discovery is that she would not like me to refer to her as my sister, but as my brother. I set up a meeting in my bedroom to finally meet him. Let me tell you that my nerves were shot and my stomach was doing turns while I waited for Shikhandi to come. I didn’t know what to expect when he came through the door. All I know is that I had a lot of questions that I am not sure he can answer. I have to go before Father comes and yells at me for still being awake. Sweet dreams Diary.   

Draupadi

Dear Diary,  (Asvina 9th)   

After the departure of my brother, Father has finally allowed me to marry. I am elated, because I thought I would be under the strict protection of my father forever. Father has pulled out all of the stops, just so I can find the right man. To be honest I really don’t know what type of man I would want to spend the rest of my life with. All I know is that the one has to be in sync with me. In other words he has to be the Purusha to my Prakriti. Father told me that I will have a ceremony where only the best suitors will come. He also jokingly said that I need to be prepared because of all the suitors will try to amaze me with their charms. Not to toot my own horn, but I am a one in a million catch of the night. My father is skeptical because he doesn’t want me to fall in the trap of a man that can sweet talk even a deaf man. I told him that everything will be okay and that he shouldn’t worry because I have a keen ear for sweet-talkers. I know who is being genuine and who is just trying to pull a fast one on me. I shall write back to you later and tell you what happened at the ceremony. Wish me luck on finding the man of my dreams! Write to you later, Diary.   

Draupadi  
  


Author's Note: So this is the first time that I have actually done a diary post for storytelling. I figured that this style would be be fitting for this week's reading. I was going back and forth on what style I wanted to use this week. I felt that a diary post would be more intimate for this setting and it allowed for the reader to see Draupadi's inner thoughts. In the book Palace of Illusions, Draupadi finally gets to meet Shikhandi. Not as her sister, but as her brother. They sit down and talk briefly, but soon after Shikhandi leaves. After the arrival of  Shikhandi, the King decides that he wants Draupadi to marry someone because he doesn’t want Draupadi to turn out like her sister Shikhandi. He sets up a ceremony for her and the best suitors of the other kingdoms. Draupadi is elated to finally be able to marry, but is a little overwhelmed. Will Draupadi find the love her life at this ceremony? Will she swept off her feet by Prince Charming? Or is this ceremony all just a joke? Stay tuned to next week's post to find out what happens.   

Bibliography: 
Book: Palace of Illusions  
Author: Chitra Banerjee Divakaruni 
  

3 comments:

  1. Hey Jordan. I really liked the diary style you chose for this week. It makes for a very easy read. I also think you chose a good story to write about, these events seem just like what someone would write about in a diary. One thing I noticed was that you left out a "want" in the "because he doesn’t me to fall in the trap of a sweet-talker" sentence. But great story! Look forward to reading the follow up

    ReplyDelete
  2. I certainly enjoyed the diary style story. I think that no form of writing is quite as intimate as a diary writing. For the reader I think that it cuts through all the games that characters play on one another and allows the readers to see the heart of the matter. I also like how your storytellings are made to build onto one another.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow great story your site still looks great. The back ground and the text matches well together. Your topic about telling stories of the untold is a great idea. I chose to read chose to read story telling 10: Dear Diary . The title looked interesting and grabbed my attention. Im just gonna get out of the way now. I dont really like the font you use in the story for me it was hard to read and I got lost a couple times. a good switch might be to use a font that resembles handwriting. I like the way your organized your story using diary entries was a great idea. My favorite part of the story was the end. I liked the way to finish the story and drapudi signing her name was a great idea. It would really interesting to hear a part two when the Draupadi talkes about her five husbands.

    ReplyDelete