Wednesday, October 14, 2015

Week 8: Reading Plan

We have been doing a lot of reading about the Ramayana, and the Mahabharata. Professor gave me the idea to read a novel by novel by Chitra Divakaruni as my reading for the second half of the semester. It is told in first-person by Draupadi, as Shikhandin is an amazing main character! I was informed that the book was long, but such a pleasure to read. I can find copies in the Library, even an audiobook is in the Library. The book is called Palace of Illusions. I am excited to read this book and continue with the theme of my storybook from the previous week.  




Since I was informed that this book is extensive, I think that I would really how to break down my reading so that I can get through the entire book. So to break the book down, I will probably read a few chapters a day so that I can get a better perspective of what the book has to offer.  

A little history about the writer Chitra Banerjee Divakaruni, she is an Indian-American author, poet, and the Betty and Gene McDavid Professor of Writing at the University of Houston Creative Writing Program. Divakaruni's works are largely set in India and the United States, and often focus on the experiences of South Asian immigrants. She writes for children as well as adults and has published novels in multiple genres, including realistic fiction, historical fiction, magical realism, and fantasy 



2 comments:

  1. I am so excited you want to read this book, Jordan! In the reading guide, I broke it up into chapters — you'll see that there in the guide; the chapters have really cool titles, and they are a nice, short length which makes it very easy to pace yourself reading the book. I've listened to the audiobook and read the print book... I actually liked the audiobook best because the reader was so good!

    And here's something cool: Chitra Divakaruni is at Twitter! If you use Twitter you can follow here there. She shares so much good stuff! Here is her Twitter:
    @cdivakaruni

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, this book looks like it will keep you busy. I look forward to see what you do with the story on Rama. I would encourage you to keep up with your reading, if you are anything like me it is easy to get behind then speed read so much of the book, but if you read it everyday it will be more enjoyable.

    ReplyDelete