Monday, September 14, 2015

Week 4: Reading Diary A

Nine Ideal Indian Women: 
Sati:  
  • Sati was the youngest of the family of girls, and was her father's favorite. Because, her dad wanted his daughters to be well off when they were married, Sati know that she had to pick a good mate.  
  • She soon fell in love with Siva, who was known as the destroyer and Regenerator of the living world.  
  • She gave all of her heart and soul and every fiber of her life to Siva. 
  • Her dad did not approve of her choice of marrying Siva, but later obliged. 
  • Sati and Siva got married.  
Sunity: 
  • Was known to be a fortune teller. 
  • Her dad did not want to marry her off because he wanted her to reign after him. 
  • Her beauty was effortless and her soon to be husband would not marry her unless she was perfectly beauty.  
  • Sunity marries Uthanpads. 
  • One secret that Sunity had was that she was denied motherhood. 

My focus for this week's reading, is to see the impact that women have on men from India. What are their roles. I know in the online reading that I did for this week, it talked a lot about fathers arranging the marriages for their daughters, or having the final say in who their daughters marry. It seems that Indian women really didn’t have a choice in who they wanted to marry, because from the time they were young, their father implanted a image of a ruler who would be suitable for them. So I thought that was really interesting about this online reading.  




5 comments:

  1. Hi Jordan, I am glad you are giving this book a try! The idea for this week is to focus on the RAMAYANA women, specifically Sita and Promila. Did you see this page? It explains how the reading works for this week:
    Sita and Promila
    There are other women in the book, from the Mahabharata, from other Indian legends, but the goal this week is to build on your knowledge of the Ramayana and to see the Ramayana story in a new way by focusing on Sita and on Promila. I hope that makes sense! Make sure you look at that page to see what to read before you do the Reading B for this week. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Professor Gibbs,
      Yes I saw the page for the reading for this week. I was going to talk about Sita and Promila for my reading diary B for tomorrow. I wanted to gain a little bit of context for my storytelling portion for the week, so that why I decided to do a diary on them today.

      Delete
    2. Oh, I just saw your reply, Jordan! You are right about context: Sunity Devee chose each story in the book for a reason, so that's really cool. You can think about the connections you see between all the stories this way, and maybe later in the semester you'll want to read more of Devee's book to learn about the other women in there too!

      Delete
  2. HI Jordan! Since you didn't get to do any Ramayana reading in this book after all, for your storytelling today you can go back to your reading diary notes in Week 2 and Week 3 to find a story you want to tell for this week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I decided to use you for my extra credit blog posting because I was interested in what you told me about the reading in our class together. I would have enjoyed reading this assignment, actually. I like knowing the background story of characters in my readings, so this would have been a great addition to this class! I also find it interesting that men had so much control over the choices that women made, because in the Ramayana, it seemed Sita was very independent (minus her suppressing love for Rama).

    ReplyDelete