Sunday, September 6, 2015

Week 2: Brainstorming (project)

1. Possible topic: Amba (women of the ramayana and the mahabharata)  
I like this story because it talks about revenge and what consequences revenge could have.  I think that revenge is a valuable lesson that everyone can learn from. There is always a specific reason that people try to seek revenge on someone who did them wrong. I don’t believe in revenge because I think that karma will get that person back eventually. 

Research: I found this article on Academia.edu titled: The Oppression of Women-Taught Through the Epics of India. In the article it discusses that women are objects to men and that they are considered property. I think that the article was interesting because it is playing devil's advocate and is trying to speak from a woman's point of view.  

2. Possible topic: Shiva (God)
I learn a little bit about Shiva when I took the non-western elective class my sophomore year. So It sparked my attention because, Shiva was known as the destroyer of the world. The quote that they used on the website "the power of destruction associated with Lord Shiva has great purifying power, both on a more personal level when problems make us see reality more clearly, as on a more universal level". I like that quote because I think that it can pertain to everyday life, but the one thing that sticks out to me is the power of the tongue. What you say can have consequences.  

Research: I found some information of Sanatan Society about Shiva. On the website it explained how Shiva was responsible for change in the form of death and destruction and also in the sense of destroying the ego, identification and the shedding of old habits and attachments.   

3. Possible topic: Yama (God of Death) 
I think that it would be interesting to read about the god of death. I have not heard anything about the god of death. I find it interesting that for the epics they have a god for life and a god for death. I think it would interesting to find out how the god of death determines what happens to someone upon their death and also after their death.  

Research: I found some information of Wikipedia. I found it interesting that Yama that is assisted by Chitragupta who is in charge of keeping records of the actions of human beings on earth. Therefore their actions decide whether or not they would get reincarnated as superior or inferior upon their death.  
Wikipedia.com

4. Possible topic: Ganga (The River Goddess) 
I remember reading about Ganga and thinking about how serene a river is. I think that there is healing powers in rivers because of the calmness that your body goes through when you come around a river.  

Research: I found something on the website: Exotic India about Ganga the River Goddess. Jagannatha fell in love with a Muslim girl and went to the river Ganga, so that she could validate his purity and righteousness. It also talks about the significance of water. Another important aspect of water is that it has a purifying quality, for example a bath is one's way to get rid of impurities.  

No comments:

Post a Comment