Wednesday, September 9, 2015

Week 3: Storytelling "Rama meets Sita"

To refresh your memory, Rama was on a quest to rescue Sita from the tallest room of the tallest tower. His brother Lakshmana distracts the fire breathing dragon by telling "yo mama" jokes and Rama escapes to the room. Upon entering the room he sees Sita and she introduces herself to Rama. 


  
Rama was taken away by Sita's beauty as she introduced herself. There was something about her eyes that captured Rama's attention. He felt like he has known her from a previous life. Before Sita could open up her mouth to speak, Rama introduces himself. "Hello! My name is Rama. I am also known as a noble stead by my friends back home". Sita graciously smiles and looks Rama in the eyes and says "It is great to finally meet you Rama". Before they could continue with their conversation, they heard a loud scream for help from the main room of tower. Rama began to realize that that scream might have come from his brother Lakshmana. As he hurried out of the room he grabbed Sita's hand. As he grabbed her hand, he felt a certain shock and got a glimpse of Sita's life. She was hesitant and also curious as to what the shock was. Before she could question Rama about it, Lakshmana yelled once again for help and for Rama to hurry up. Rama and Sita rushed out of the room and finally found Lakshmana. Lakshmana was in quite a predicament. He was entangled with the fire breathing dragon. Rama was trying to think of a plan to get his brother out of the entanglement of the dragon. Rama told Lakshmana to play peek-a-boo with the dragon to see if the dragon would let him loose. Of course with Lakshama's charm the dragon set him free and he was able to escape with Rama and Sita. Once they got across the rickety bridge, Rama started to ask Sita a lot of questions. His first question was centered around why she was locked in the tower in the first place. Sita sat Rama and Lakshmana down because she knew that the story would take a while to explain. Sita responds by saying, "When I was younger my dad always told me that I was destined for greatness, However in order to be great I had to wait for the right man. So, my dad put a curse on me so that I would never leave the castle". Sita hesitates and then looks up at Rama and grabs his hand. "I know that this might sound weird, but I always knew that you would be the person to break my curse, I been dreaming about you since I was younger".  
*To be continued* 

Author's Note: 
I wanted to stick with Shrek (the movie) theme from last week so that I could have some consistency with my storytelling post. Plus I think that a lot of people have seen the movie Shrek, and I thought that it would have encouraged people to go and look at the previous storytelling post that I did last week. In this week’s story it featured the scene in Shrek after he had rescued the princess. While on their walk to back to the kingdom, they are having a conversation about the King that Fiona is to wed and other things. In my story for this week, it focused more on Sita and how she started to explain her love for Rama. I didn’t want to reveal too much because I want to keep the reader coming back next week to see what I say next. However, I think that this story gives a little description as to what to expect for next week. I think that whole castle scene in the movie really helped me figure out how I was going to write my "storytelling" for this week, because it set up the scene for this week and weeks to come. Hope you enjoyed it!

Bibliography: 
Title: The Ramayana: A Shortened Modern Prose Version of the Indian Epic 
Author: Kamban/R.K. Narayan 
Year: 1972 
Link:   Click HERE

2 comments:

  1. Shrek is my favorite movie from my childhood and I probably have seen it around a hundred times. I like how you were able to combine the two stories and still maintain the relative storyline despite them being so different. I cannot wait to read the rest of the story. Just like you wanted from your author’s notes I will definitely be returning next week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love how creative this story is! Like Zach, I have seen Shrek hundreds of times as well, and it definitely has to be one of my favorite animated films. I thought you tied the two stories together perfectly, and it really made it more entertaining. I would have never thought to use Shrek as a guide for my stories like this, so I am impressed you thought of it. The meme of donkey you attached to your story fit perfectly as well! I absolutely want to come back next week for the remainder of the story!

    ReplyDelete