Wednesday, November 18, 2015

Week 13: Storytelling "So You Think You Can Spell"





Michael G. Looking: “Hello and welcome to the annual So You Think You Can Spell spelling bee contest. My name is Michael G. Looking and I am your host for tonight. Boy do we have a treat for you all tonight, I hope that you are as excited as I am. Tonight’s theme is the Seven Secrets from the Hindu Calendar Art. We have some of the brightest contestants that you will ever meet tonight on the show. Our first contestant is John Rogers. John is a 12 year old genius. He enjoys reading the dictionary, writing out lexicon words and watching the movie Titanic. Our next contestant is Lili Harris. Lili is a 14 year old spelling rock star. Lili enjoys reading comic books, listening the Eminem and doing homework. Our last contestant is Clayton Bradshaw. Clayton is your all american spelling champ. Clayton enjoys eating Chick Fil A, riding his bike, and reciting love poems. So folks are we ready to get started!”

Judge #1: “Okay you guys this is how the spelling bee contest is going to go. I will give you a word to spell. I will only repeat the word twice. Once I give you that word, you will have ten seconds before you have to spell the word. Within those ten seconds, you can ask for the definition or a sentence for the word. If you spell the word correctly you will advance to the next round. If you spell the word incorrectly you will be disqualified and that will end your journey to being the next spelling bee. Without further or due, John will you please approach the mic.”
*John approaches the mic*

Judge #2: “Hello John! Your word is Ganesha. I repeat your word is Ganesha.”

John: “May I please have the definition?”

Judge #2: “Ganesha is the Lord of Good Fortune. Ganesha is also associated with prosperity, fortune and being successful.”

John: “Ganesha. G-A-N-E-S-H-A. Ganesha”

Judge #2: “That is correct! You will advance to the next round. Next we will have Lili.”

*Lili approaches the mic*

Judge #1: “Hello Lili! Your word is Khandoba. I repeat your word is Khandoba.”

Lili: “Can I please have a sentence?”

Judge #1: “Khandoba is known as the God of war in the Hindu series.”

Lili: “Khandoba. K-A-N-D-O-B-A. Kandoba.”

Judge #1: “I’m sorry Lili that is the incorrect spelling of the word. The correct spelling of the word is Khandoba. You are disqualified. Next we will have Clayton.”

*The crowd cheers for Lili as she leaves the stage.*

Judge #2: “Hello Clayton! Your word is Annapura. I repeat your word is Annapura.”

Clayton: “May I please have the definition?”

Judge #2: “Annapura is the goddess of plenty. Annapura is also associated with Siva.”

Clayton: “Annapura. A-N-N-A-P-U-R-A. Annapura.”

Judge #2: “That is correct! You will advance to the next round.”

*The crowd goes wild*

Michael G. Looking: “Well folks there you have it. John and Clayton will be advancing to the next round. Make sure to stay tuned after the break to see who will become the champion of So You Think You Can Spell.”

*cuts to a commercial break*


Author’s Notes: So this week I watched a video called the 7 Secrets from Hindu Calendar Art and it is broken up into different sections. The video that I watched actually gave a little introduction to some of the main characters that we have been reading about all semester. It was hard for me to find a storytelling structure that I thought would fit this week’s reading. I decided to do a spelling bee contest to kind of introduce some of the people that I thought were interesting while watch the video. However, I think that this was the hardest storytelling week by far. Hope you enjoy!

Bibliography:
Video: 7 Secrets from Hindu Calendar Art
Link:  Watch Me




3 comments:

  1. Wow what an interesting story. I would have never thought of using a contest to tell a story. I really enjoyed reading this. You have a great story telling style. I did not see errors. The only thing was on my computer the font got smaller near the end of the story. I'm not sure if that was intentional or not. But overall the story really looks great. I look forward to reading more of your stories and great job again!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a cool way to introduce new people and also point out how hard some of these words are to spell. It's difficult for me to remember who some people are because I can pronounce their name. I think you did an excellent job. Stinks we didn't get to find out who won. I was laughing too at some of the contestants bios.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just read your debate story and now I'm reading your spelling story and this one is just as creative! I loved this idea. It was such a smart and interesting way to introduce some of the characters from the videos. I also really liked the way you structured the dialogue in the story. The videos were kind of difficult to interpret as stories, but I think you did a fantastic job with it!

    ReplyDelete