Thursday, August 27, 2015

What does "Growth Mindset" mean to me

* what have you learned about your own learning while you've been at OU? what are your biggest challenges as you set about learning new things? 
  
I love learning about new things and I think this TED talk was very effective. I have never heard of Carol Dweck before watching the two clips, but I like her logic and the way that she wanted to combat the question of: Now vs. Yet. I think one of the things that stuck out to me the most was when Dr. Carol Dweck's TED asked the question: How are we raising our children? I liked this question because I think that it has a lot to do with the millennials (this would include my age group). She structured her answer by saying that kids are being prepared for the now instead of the yet. Ever since I was little, my family told would tell me that anything that I want in life I have to go get it NOW before someone else does. I think that my generation has a "good get it" attitude with a lazy "someone else needs to do it for me" mentality. I liked how she explained that she wanted to challenge the minds of students in school and she decided to give them a problem. Of course the problem was challenging, but the reaction that she got from the kids was incredible to me. They did not shy away from a challenge and was happy to get something that challenged their brains. I think that little kids that can look a challenge in the face and also face it head on, is not focusing on the now but focusing on the yet. What is yet to come of this problem, what have I yet to accomplish. 
  
I have learned a few things about myself, just by attending this university. I have learned that once I get on a roll I can not stop. Once that roll is broken it is hard for me to gain my concentration back. For example: when it comes to homework, I have to have a full stomach and be well rested in order for me not to get distracted from doing my homework. I notice that I accomplish more things when I have at least two of my friends around me while doing homework, because I feel the added pressure of someone watching me while I work. One of my challenges that I face as I learn new things is the way that my brain retains things. If it is interesting, then my brain can retain that information for a long period of time. If I can't apply that thing to something I do everyday or I think it is boring, then my brain will discard that information. I want to be able to take in all types of information and apply it to everyday life. I think the more I can apply my brain to think like that the more my brain can retain information and grow.  


Cat facing a challenge



Growth Mindset vs. Fixed Mindset



1 comment:

  1. I really like the photo of the cats that you put on this post, because I think it really is important to understand life in that way (and I also really like cats so it grabbed my attention). You can't view a mistake as the "last straw" so to say. Every mistake you may have will become something that trains you to grow and be better. Also, I'm right there with you. I can read and read all day, but if I cannot personally connect with the material then it will go right in one day and out the next (which is not the best thing when it comes to having to take tests.)

    ReplyDelete