Thursday, August 27, 2015

Week 1: Overview

  • Have you taken a class about epic literature before (in college, high school)...? Do you like epic movies and/or television shows like Game of Thrones, etc.? 

My sophomore year of college, I took DANC1813: Intro Non-Western Dance Form. The way that the Dr. Redwine structured the class interested me the most. She would talk about the different literature's for one class period and then the next class period she would show us a movie or a small video clip so that we could have a visual sense of what that literature meant. You could tell that she was really passionate about what she was teaching to the class, so much that there was a time that she came to class and performed for us a little folklore dance. I was first introduced to Indian literature in her class when we spent several weeks talking about the different Indian dance forms and how some of the dances pertain to elements such as water, earth, wind, etc. That was my first introduction to Indian literature in college. I think that it is fascinating to have a specific dance for each of the elements and how each one of the dances pertain to that specific element.  

One thing on my to-do list for the summer that I never got around to doing was to watch Game of Thrones, However, I have heard good things about the show Game of Thrones, but I have only seen a few episodes. I am one of those people that has to see the show from the very first episode of the first season in order to actually watch the show. But from the few episodes that I have seen of the show, they were intriguing and they kept me on my toes and kept me wanting to know more.  My friend has told me about the television show: The Epic of Gilgamesh. The Epic of Gilgamesh is a ancient Mesopotamia poem that dates back to the third dynasty of Ur, which I think plays a role in Mythology and how mythology dates back to ancient history.  



Tell me which one is your fav?







1 comment:

  1. Jordan! I finally can say I am not the only person who has not watched the Game of Thrones. Your non-western class sounded interesting. Did you actually have to do any dancing yourself? I would totally not be comfortable in that class. I am a terrible dancer… except when I drink (and then I still am but I forget and start dancing anyways).

    ReplyDelete